Mound Cemetery has served as a final resting place for area citizens since 1844. Also known as Lower Mound Cemetery, it is located on Old State Road 63, north of Perrysville and a few miles west of Covington, in Highland Township, Vermillion County, Indiana.
In 1923, a cemetery association was formed and Stephen Grant Wright was elected president. Wright was the owner of Tree Spring Farms at the time. Charles Peyton worked for Wright and he was sent on assignment, just down the road from Tree Spring, to do work and platted the cemetery in 1929-30.
Lower Mound Cemetery is a nice, quiet county cemetery surrounded by fields and is currently the final resting place of nearly 950 interments. There is a large amount of area history and countless personal memories – of family, friends, husbands, wives, and children – contained in Lower Mound Cemetery with burial sites still available.
Daily upkeep and ongoing maintenance are required to care for the cemetery to combat deterioration by preserving, beautifying, and maintaining abandoned or deteriorating graves and for the care and replacement of trees, flowers, shrubbery, etc. Also, the fund will assist in providing an educational benefit to the general public and promote appreciation for community history by maintaining, repairing, and restoring monuments, headstones, and grave markers of historical or architectural significance.
To donate to the Lower Mound Cemetery Fund click here.